Alright all of you sushi lovers out there, we’ve got a fun recipe coming at you. While this is not your normal recipe, it was surprisingly GREAT. What you’ll do once you’ve grilled your shrimp and made your sushi (recipes below), you’ll want to take the Bird Bath Peach Mango Habanero from Texas Pepper Jelly and replace it with the dark unagi sauce. Yes, we realize this sounds a bit off-the-wall, but we promise it’s DELICIOUS.
After you’ve tried this recipe, we would love to know what you think!
Making sushi rice instructions:
1. For the seasoning, heat the rice vinegar with the sugar and salt in a pot or microwave until fully dissolved.
2. Rinse the sushi rice thoroughly and cook it in a pot with a thick bottom (or rice cooker).
3. Once rice is ready, transfer to wooden or plastic container. Do not cover.
4. Pour seasoning evenly over rice and mix with a wooden spoon in a cutting motion.
5. Let rice cool down to room temperature by the window or with a fan, but never in the refrigerator.
Making your sushi instructions:
1. Wrap your bamboo mat with plastic wrap
2. Take a nori sheet, and break it in half
3. Grab a handful of prepared sushi rice, and spread it gently over the nori
4. Sprinkle a spoonful of Masago or sesame seeds evenly over the top half of rice
5. Flip the nori so that the rice is now facing down on the bamboo mat
6. Line up the crab sticks (or your grilled shrimp) along the close end of the nori.
7. Next to it, line up 1-2 thick slices avocado.
8. Now simply Roll it inside out.
9. Cut into 8 equal pieces.
10. Serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger (gari), wasabi, and top with the Bird Bath from Texas Pepper Jelly.